Papers Presented at the Sixteenth I.E.E. Week-End Meeting on the History of Electrical Engineering

1-3 July 1989

Filter Results

Displaying Results 1 - 13 of 13
  • 'Hi-fi before 1939'-a personal view of the period 1923-39

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):34 - 39
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (146 KB)

    Although by 1923 users of gramophones and recordings had been subjected to claims of 'fidelity' for a long time, it was only in that year that high quality sound reproduction began with the initiation of regular radio broadcasting. The author looks at electric recording, loudspeakers, amplifiers, disc recorders and radio reception.<<ETX>> View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • A brief history of power supplies in Acton, Middlesex

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):48 - 53
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (356 KB)

    An agreement was signed between the Acton Urban District Council and the Metropolitan Electricity Supply Company on 24th February, 1904 regarding the provision of electricity for Acton. The foundation stone was laid on 3rd August 1904 together with the first length of mains cable. The author looks at the history of electricity in Acton from then to the present day.<<ETX>> View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • Wheatstone's early scientific work and its context

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):62 - 69
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (311 KB)

    The author looks at the early work of Wheatstone which began in mid-1830 with studies on the velocity of sparks. Initially he used a vibrating piece of string placed between two electrodes through which a spark could pass. He abandoned this method in favour of one using a revolving mirror.<<ETX>> View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • Soemmering, Schilling, Cooke and Wheatstone, and the electric telegraph

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):70 - 79
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (523 KB)

    Baron Montgelas of Dillingen had been very impressed by the Chappe telegraph which was used extensively during the Napoleonic campaigns and on 5th July 1809 he asked Dr. S.T. Soemmering to obtain proposals for a telegraph system. Baron Schilling, attached to the Russian Mission at Munich, became interested in Soemmering's work and between them they constructed as had Cooke and Wheatstone in Englan... View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • The electric telegraph and the development of picture telegraphy

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):80 - 86
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (297 KB)

    The first proposal for transmitting pictures electrically from one place to another was contained in a British patent dated 27th November 1843 by Alexander Bain. This first facsimile system used two pendulums connected by an electric circuit so when the first one was moved a signal was transmitted which moved the second one. The author looks at the many facsimile systems that have been proposed ov... View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • Messages under the sea-the development of submarine cable telegraphy

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):87 - 97
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (719 KB)

    In 1843 a dried tree sap was discovered which proved an ideal electrical insulator underwater, unlike india rubber which deteriorates. The first field trial was in 1850 when the Brett brothers brought Wheatstones' Dover-Calais proposal to fruition. The author looks at the development of submarine cable telegraphy and in particular the Porthcurno Cable Station, Cornwall.<<ETX>> View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • The growth of the electric telegraph on the railways of Britain

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):98 - 109
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (428 KB)

    The first practical working installation of an electric telegraph was that brought into service on the Great Western Railway in July 1838. This installation made use of the so-called five needle instrument, which was a development of the four needle version which Cooke had demonstrated to the directors of the London and Birmingham Railway soon after he and Wheatstone had patented their invention i... View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • From searchlights to radar-the story of anti-aircraft and coastal defence development 1917-53

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):110 - 124
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (679 KB)

    The present Royal Signals and Radar Establishment (RSRE) was formed in 1975 by the amalgamation of the Signals Research and Development Establishment (SRDE), the Services Electronic Research Laboratories (SERL), and the Royal Radar Establishment (RRE). The author gives an account of the history of the Radar Research and Development Establishment (RRDE) which was the beginning of the RSRE. In parti... View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • Papers Presented at the Sixteenth I.E.E. Week-End Meeting on the History of Electrical Engineering

    Publication Year: 1988
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | PDF file iconPDF (8 KB)
    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • The early history of the Cambridge Scientific Instrument Company: 1878-1968

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):1 - 8
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (407 KB)

    When the Cambridge Scientific Instrument Company was founded in 1881 the partnership deed gave the objectives of the business as 'the improvement of scientific instruments etc.' The author looks at how the company came to be founded and the people involved in this. Expansion is also looked at and the author concludes with the takeover by George Kent Ltd. in 1968.<<ETX>> View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • Electric units at the National Physical Laboratory, 1900-50

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):9 - 12
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (197 KB)

    The author presents the history of some of the work on electrical units at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) during the first half of the century. The government founded the standards laboratory in 1900 to help industry with calibrations and advice in engineering, metallurgy, ship-building and other subjects. Standards including the determination of the ampere and ohm are discussed.<<ET... View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • The National Physical Laboratory-a short history

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):13 - 16
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (154 KB)

    The need for a National Standards Laboratory was established when German science and industry united in the 1880s and the Physikalish Technische Reichsanstalt was founded. The NPL was founded in 1900 and was first located at Bushy House, Teddington. Today the laboratory extends to some 65 acres with about 700 scientific staff.<<ETX>> View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.
  • Edward Weston and his meter

    Publication Year: 1988, Page(s):17 - 21
    IEEE is not the copyright holder of this material | Click to expandAbstract | PDF file iconPDF (366 KB)

    The author looks at the career of Edward Weston and in particular the Weston meter is described. The meter was made in ammeter and voltmeter versions from the beginning. It used the new tungsten steel in the magnetic circuit so it retained its calibration almost indefinitely.<<ETX>> View full abstract»

    Full text access may be available. Click article title to sign in or learn about subscription options.