Skip to Main Content
The Electronics and Electrical Communications Engineering (EECE) Department has a long history of evolution. It started in 1916 when courses in electrical engineering were offered in the School of Engineering (later known as the Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University). In 1927, the Mechanical Engineering Department was renamed the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. Later, In 1932, a new building for electrical engineering labs was inaugurated by King Fouad 1s. Starting in 1954, the Electrical Engineering Department offered two majors: Power and Communications Engineering in the fourth (senior) year. Later, in 1969, the Electrical Engineering Department was separated into two distinct departments: Electrical Power and Machinery Engineering and Electronics and Electrical Communications Engineering. At the third year, electrical engineering students would choose either of the two departments, and would receive a B.Sc. degree from the chosen department. Subsequently, in 1974, specialization in the EECE Department would begin at first year, and two majors were offered in the fourth year: Communications Engineering and Computer and Control Engineering. Then, in 2006, a new program based on the credit-hour system was established (called Communications and Computer Engineering). Since 2009, the EECE Department is working earnestly towards accreditation, to become the first such accredited program in Egyptian Universities.