Skip to Main Content
You canÂ¿t take much into space. When a rocket is on the launchpad, 99.9 percent of the mass is the fuel and the vehicle itself. That leaves 0.1 percent for everything elseÂ¿the crew and all their supplies. When considering what to bring, how do we trade off between consumables (needed for survival), spare parts (for safety), and research equipment (which gives the mission value)?