Skip to Main Content
THE FIRST pipe-type cable in the Western Hemisphere was a 2000-foot long experimental installation at the Plymouth Meeting Substation of the Philadelphia Electric Company in 1932. The first commercial installation was energized in 1935 in Baltimore, Md., as a part of the electrification program of the Pennsylvania Railroad. There were a few lines installed during the Depression and War years. Since World War II the number of installations has increased rapidly.