Skip to Main Content
Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation's (Niagara Mohawk's) hydroelectric Schoellkopf Station was located in the Niagara River Gorge in the City of Niagara Falls, New York, USA. It was the largest privately owned hydroelectric station in the world. Schoellkopf, actually three adjacent stations: 3A, 3B, and 3C (see Figure 1), consisted of 21 generating units totaling 454,500 rated hp (334,800 rated kW). Stations 1 and 2 were the historic Adams stations located on the Niagara River above Niagara Falls. Station 3A, built 19051914, contained units 115 (numbered south to north); 13 horizontal 10,000-hp turbines (nine operating at 60 Hz and four operating at 25 Hz with generators rated 8,000 kW and 7,200 kW, respectively), plus two 1,000-hp station service units (see Figure 2). A wall separated the turbine and generator rooms. Station 3B, built 19181920, contained units 1618 (numbered north to south). These were vertical 37,500-hp, 25-Hz machines with generators rated 26,000 kW each (see Figure 3). Station 3C, built 19211924, contained units 1921 (numbered north to south). These were vertical 70,000-hp, 25-hz units with generators rated 52,000 kW each. The hydraulic head was approximately 210 ft (64 m). Power from the 12-kV Station 3A generators was distributed locally via underground cables. Power from the 12-kV Station 3B generators was transmitted on overhead lines to Harper Station located 2.8 mi (4.5 km) east of Schoellkopf. Power from the 12-kV Station 3C generators was transformed to 69 kV and transmitted overhead to Harper Station.