Cart (Loading....) | Create Account
Close category search window
 

Detecting P2P traffic from the P2P flow graph

Sign In

Cookies must be enabled to login.After enabling cookies , please use refresh or reload or ctrl+f5 on the browser for the login options.

Formats Non-Member Member
$31 $13
Learn how you can qualify for the best price for this item!
Become an IEEE Member or Subscribe to
IEEE Xplore for exclusive pricing!
close button

puzzle piece

IEEE membership options for an individual and IEEE Xplore subscriptions for an organization offer the most affordable access to essential journal articles, conference papers, standards, eBooks, and eLearning courses.

Learn more about:

IEEE membership

IEEE Xplore subscriptions

3 Author(s)
Jonghyun Kim ; Electr. & Comput. Eng., Univ. of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA ; Khushboo Shah ; Bohacek, S.

Accurate identification of P2P (peer-to-peer) applications' flows is important for network capacity planning, provisioning, application traffic engineering, network service pricing, traffic shaping/policing, and flow prioritization. To this end, many identification methods have been developed based on the transport layer port, analysis of packet payloads, statistical observation on flows and graph-based structural properties. One deficiency of those methods is that they concentrate only on a decision of whether a single flow is P2P flow or not. This paper presents methods for detecting P2P flows by constructing a graph where each flow is a vertex. Edges are constructed by applying various rules that consider the ports used by previously detected P2P flows. In this graph, we find that around 90% of the P2P flows are within a large connected component. The remaining 10% is composed of many smaller connected components. Edges between the large connected component and these other components can be constructed with some heuristics. The methods proposed are tested on traffic traces that included signature matching, so that we are able to ensure that significant P2P applications are detected.

Published in:

Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), 2011 7th International

Date of Conference:

4-8 July 2011

Need Help?


IEEE Advancing Technology for Humanity About IEEE Xplore | Contact | Help | Terms of Use | Nondiscrimination Policy | Site Map | Privacy & Opting Out of Cookies

A not-for-profit organization, IEEE is the world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology.
© Copyright 2014 IEEE - All rights reserved. Use of this web site signifies your agreement to the terms and conditions.