By Topic

Ocean surface wind speed measurements of the Special Sensor Microwave/Imager (SSM/I)

Sign In

Cookies must be enabled to login.After enabling cookies , please use refresh or reload or ctrl+f5 on the browser for the login options.

Formats Non-Member Member
$31 $13
Learn how you can qualify for the best price for this item!
Become an IEEE Member or Subscribe to
IEEE Xplore for exclusive pricing!
close button

puzzle piece

IEEE membership options for an individual and IEEE Xplore subscriptions for an organization offer the most affordable access to essential journal articles, conference papers, standards, eBooks, and eLearning courses.

Learn more about:

IEEE membership

IEEE Xplore subscriptions

3 Author(s)
Goodberlet, M.A. ; Massachusetts Univ., Amherst, MA, USA ; Swift, C.T. ; Wilkerson, J.C.

An operational wind speed algorithm was developed. This algorithm is based on the D-matrix approach, which seeks a linear relationship between measured SSM/I brightness temperatures and environmental parameters. D-matrix performance in the low-to-medium wind speed range was validated by comparing algorithm-derived wind speeds with near-simultaneous and colocated measurements made by the anemometers of offshore ocean buoys. Results indicate that for approximately 85% of the time, the D-matrix-retrieved winds will have an accuracy better than the Defense Meteorological Space Program goal of ±2 m/s. For the remaining 15% of the time, the scene will be rain-flagged and retrieval accuracies will be worse than ±2 m/s

Published in:

Geoscience and Remote Sensing, IEEE Transactions on  (Volume:28 ,  Issue: 5 )