Cart (Loading....) | Create Account
Close category search window
 

Thermal management of a C4/CBGA interconnect technology for a high-performance RISC microprocessor: the Motorola PowerPC 620TM microprocessor

Sign In

Cookies must be enabled to login.After enabling cookies , please use refresh or reload or ctrl+f5 on the browser for the login options.

Formats Non-Member Member
$31 $13
Learn how you can qualify for the best price for this item!
Become an IEEE Member or Subscribe to
IEEE Xplore for exclusive pricing!
close button

puzzle piece

IEEE membership options for an individual and IEEE Xplore subscriptions for an organization offer the most affordable access to essential journal articles, conference papers, standards, eBooks, and eLearning courses.

Learn more about:

IEEE membership

IEEE Xplore subscriptions

1 Author(s)
Kroman, G. ; Adv. Packaging Technol., Motorola Inc., Austin, TX

This paper presents various thermal management options for a high-performance RISC microprocessor available for controlled-collapse-chip-connection (C4) die attached to a ceramic-ball-grid-array substrate (CBGA), as they apply to air-cooled systems. Computational-fluid dynamics (CFD) methods are used to solve the conjugate heat transfer problems and a thermal test vehicle mounted to a printed-circuit board was used to validate the models. The internal package's contribution is typically less than 18% of the overall junction-to-ambient temperature rise. Of this 18%, approximately 85% is associated with the thermal paste internally sealed; while, the lid and the silicon chip account for the other 15% (approximately equal). For moderate airflow applications in the 1 to 4 m/s, the PowerPC 620 microprocessor will require a relatively large heat sink, approximately 20 times that of the C4/CBGA package, to maintain its die-junction temperature. The proper selection of a thermal interface material is critical in minimizing the thermal contact resistance between the package and the heat sink. Considering, the low interface pressure, the synthetic grease offers the best performance

Published in:

Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 1996. Proceedings., 46th

Date of Conference:

28-31 May 1996

Need Help?


IEEE Advancing Technology for Humanity About IEEE Xplore | Contact | Help | Terms of Use | Nondiscrimination Policy | Site Map | Privacy & Opting Out of Cookies

A not-for-profit organization, IEEE is the world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology.
© Copyright 2014 IEEE - All rights reserved. Use of this web site signifies your agreement to the terms and conditions.