Cart (Loading....) | Create Account
Close category search window
 

Some Parameters of Negative Upward-Initiated Lightning to the Gaisberg Tower (2000–2007)

Sign In

Cookies must be enabled to login.After enabling cookies , please use refresh or reload or ctrl+f5 on the browser for the login options.

Formats Non-Member Member
$31 $13
Learn how you can qualify for the best price for this item!
Become an IEEE Member or Subscribe to
IEEE Xplore for exclusive pricing!
close button

puzzle piece

IEEE membership options for an individual and IEEE Xplore subscriptions for an organization offer the most affordable access to essential journal articles, conference papers, standards, eBooks, and eLearning courses.

Learn more about:

IEEE membership

IEEE Xplore subscriptions

3 Author(s)
Diendorfer, G. ; Dept. of Austrian Lightning Detection & Inf. Syst. (ALDIS), Austrian Electrotech. Assoc. (OVE), Vienna, Austria ; Pichler, H. ; Mair, M.

We have analyzed parameters of 457 upward-initiated negative lightning flashes to the Gaisberg tower (GBT) in Austria recorded from 2000 to 2007. Lightning to the radio tower of a height of 100 m and located on a mountain 1287 m above sea level occurs almost independent of season, although a pronounced thunderstorm season exists in Austria during the summer months. A total of 30% of the upward-initiated negative flashes exhibited one or more return strokes with an average multiplicity of 4.4 and a geometric mean interstroke interval of 17.3 ms. The remaining 70% of upward-initiated negative flashes showed an initial continuous current (ICC) only, either with (22%) or without (48%) superimposed current pulses of peak currents greater than 2 kA. Median of total transferred charge to ground is about 30% lower in summer (26.8 C) than in other seasons (39.0 C). For the return stroke current pulses, we determined a median peak current of 9.2 kA (sigmalog10 = 0.25) and a median pulse charge of 0.51 C (sigmalog10 = 0.39). For current pulses superimposed on the ICC, we determined a median of 4.2 kA (sigmalog10 = 0.26) with 22 kA peak current measured for the largest ICC pulse.

Published in:

Electromagnetic Compatibility, IEEE Transactions on  (Volume:51 ,  Issue: 3 )

Date of Publication:

Aug. 2009

Need Help?


IEEE Advancing Technology for Humanity About IEEE Xplore | Contact | Help | Terms of Use | Nondiscrimination Policy | Site Map | Privacy & Opting Out of Cookies

A not-for-profit organization, IEEE is the world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology.
© Copyright 2014 IEEE - All rights reserved. Use of this web site signifies your agreement to the terms and conditions.