Cart (Loading....) | Create Account
Close category search window
 

Detonation waves in triaminotrinitrobenzene

Sign In

Cookies must be enabled to login.After enabling cookies , please use refresh or reload or ctrl+f5 on the browser for the login options.

Formats Non-Member Member
$31 $31
Learn how you can qualify for the best price for this item!
Become an IEEE Member or Subscribe to
IEEE Xplore for exclusive pricing!
close button

puzzle piece

IEEE membership options for an individual and IEEE Xplore subscriptions for an organization offer the most affordable access to essential journal articles, conference papers, standards, eBooks, and eLearning courses.

Learn more about:

IEEE membership

IEEE Xplore subscriptions

3 Author(s)
Tarver, Craig M. ; Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, California 94550 ; Kury, John W. ; Breithaupt, R.Don

Your organization might have access to this article on the publisher's site. To check, click on this link:http://dx.doi.org/+10.1063/1.365739 

Fabry–Perot laser interferometry is used to obtain nanosecond time resolved particle velocity histories of the free surfaces of copper, tantalum, or magnesium disks driven by detonating triaminotrinitrobenzene (TATB)-based charges and of the interfaces between detonating TATB and transparent salt crystals. Detonation reaction zone profiles are measured for self-sustaining detonation waves propagating through various thicknesses of LX-17 (92.5% TATB and 7.5% KelF binder) and pure ultrafine particle size TATB. The experimental records are compared to particle velocity histories calculated with the DYNA2D hydrodynamic code using the ignition and growth reactive flow model. The calculations yield excellent agreement with the experimental records for LX-17 using an unreacted von Neumann spike pressure of 33.7 GPa, a reaction rate law which releases 70% of the chemical energy within 100 ns, and the remaining 30% over 300 additional ns, and a reaction product equation of state fit to cylinder test and supracompression data with a Chapman–Jouguet (C–J) pressure of 25 GPa. The late time energy release is attributed to diffusion controlled solid carbon particle formation. Ultrafine TATB, pressed to a lower density (1.80 g/cm3) than LX-17 (1.905 g/cm3), exhibits lower unreacted spike and C–J pressures than LX-17 but similar reaction rates. © 1997 American Institute of Physics.

Published in:

Journal of Applied Physics  (Volume:82 ,  Issue: 8 )

Date of Publication:

Oct 1997

Need Help?


IEEE Advancing Technology for Humanity About IEEE Xplore | Contact | Help | Terms of Use | Nondiscrimination Policy | Site Map | Privacy & Opting Out of Cookies

A not-for-profit organization, IEEE is the world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology.
© Copyright 2014 IEEE - All rights reserved. Use of this web site signifies your agreement to the terms and conditions.