By Topic

Segmentation of a Thematic Mapper Image Using the Fuzzy c-Means Clusterng Algorthm

Sign In

Cookies must be enabled to login.After enabling cookies , please use refresh or reload or ctrl+f5 on the browser for the login options.

Formats Non-Member Member
$31 $13
Learn how you can qualify for the best price for this item!
Become an IEEE Member or Subscribe to
IEEE Xplore for exclusive pricing!
close button

puzzle piece

IEEE membership options for an individual and IEEE Xplore subscriptions for an organization offer the most affordable access to essential journal articles, conference papers, standards, eBooks, and eLearning courses.

Learn more about:

IEEE membership

IEEE Xplore subscriptions

4 Author(s)
Cannon, Robert L. ; Department of Computer Science, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208 ; Dave, Jitendra V. ; Bezdek, J.C. ; Trivedi, M.M.

In this paper, a segmentation procedure that utilizes a clustering algorithm based upon fuzzy set theory is developed. The procedure operates in a nonparametric unsupervised mode. The feasibility of the methodology is demonstrated by segmenting a six-band Landsat-4 digital image with 324 scan lines and 392 pixels per scan line. For this image, 100-percent ground cover information is available for estimating the quality of segmentation. About 80 percent of the imaged area contains corn and soybean fields near the peak of their growing season. The remaining 20 percent of the image contains 12 different types of ground cover classes that appear in regions of diffferent sizes and shapes. The segmentation method uses the fuzzy c-means algorithm in two stages. The large number of clusters resulting from this segmentation process are then merged by use of a similarity measure on the cluster centers. Results are presented to show that this two-stage process leads to separation of corn and soybean, and of several minor classes that would otherwise be overwhelmed in any practical one-stage clustering.

Published in:

Geoscience and Remote Sensing, IEEE Transactions on  (Volume:GE-24 ,  Issue: 3 )